Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Here is the laptop


Well some time ago I got my first laptop. It is an Acer Travelmate 5510 (5514WLMI)


Here are the specs:
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56
ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
1 GB RAM DDR2
160 GB hard-drive
DVD Multi Dual Layer Writer
wifi 802.11 b/g
15.4 LCD screen

First thing I did when I got this new laptop was make a nice cup of coffee and put a Debian 4.0 dvd on the dvd-drive. After the life cd booted I formated the hard-drive to get rid of Windows Vista. I barely booted Vista a couple of times, mostly to make sure the hardware worked properly
I will be writing about the process of converting this Acer Travalmate laptop to GNU/Linux in the following posts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!
Did you get the internal mic to work?
I'm trying to get Ubuntu 9.10 on my TM5510, but the mic just doesn't work..

Regards

Joop said...

I'm looking at the same problem. So if you got it working then please let me know. It such a pitty if the mic doesn't want to work